Monday, April 27, 2009

Hamburgers: Part 1 The Rolls


It is seriously warm here in PA, it feels like summer right now!! To celebrate, we have been cooking on our new charcoal Weber grill.
So tomorrow we will be grilling hamburgers!
I like burgers but one thing I don't like is figuring out what to put them on. The rolls in the grocery store are full of high-fructose corn syrup, preservatives, and other weird things. The bakeries near us that make their bread from scratch don't usually have hamburger rolls. So for the first time, I decided to make my own rolls!
I found a great recipe over at Coconut and Lime. Today she posted this recipe for Onion-Studded Hamburger Rolls.
I am not going to re-post her recipe, but if you click on the link above you can see step-by-step instructions. And they are not difficult to make, especially if you have a stand mixer with a dough hook. Here are some shots of my rolls being made.

The first step, heating up some milk, water, butter, salt and sugar.
The cooked shallots to go in the rolls. (I used shallots instead of onion)

Kneading the dough in my stand mixer.

The dough after it has risen the first time.
The finished rolls!
I haven't made bread the traditional way for a while, I have been using Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day method, which doesn't involve punching down the dough or kneading. I think I developed a fear of making bread the normal way. But it wasn't that much work, and I had today off so I had the time to wait for each stage. Thanks to Rachel of Coconut and Lime for the great recipe!
Tomorrow, the hamburgers!


Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: